Split side rails or ‘assist rails’ make transferring to & from the bed much easier. Constructed from hardwood and steel, they are built to remain stable as you use them to stand up and turn, bearing your weight through them, and offer a more rigid & secure feel than a typical bed leaver or bed rail which slides under the mattress.
For institutional care, savings are realised from increased mobility of clients, meaning less manual handling is required from staff.
Using BS EN 1970 compliant split side rails also drastically reduces the chance of falling out of bed. And when not in use, can be folded away below the height of the mattress.
If using an air mattress, we recommend the use of a low profile Diamond full replacement mattress.This is because we often find that for institutional use scenarios, mattresses are transferred between beds, and unless the host bed has extended height side rails, serious injuries may occur. The Diamond mattress provides a solution to this by having a low profile height, meaning it can be safely & legally used on any bed with side rails conforming to BS EN 1970 standard.
Save Money and Reduce Risk
For operators of institutional care, interchangeable side rails represent tremendous initial and ongoing savings:
- For residential care, purchase nursing beds with no side rails fitted, and benefit from less initial outlay.
- For mixed residential and nursing care, purchase a mix of beds with side rails and some with none, and benefit from less initial outlay. When needs change, purchase more side rails when required.
- Only purchase & use beds with side rails where required, meaning that operators and users are exempt from concerns regarding conformance with BS EN 1970 Safe Use of Side Rails.
- Saves decontaminating and moving beds between different rooms where different levels of care are required. Why move the bed and mattress, when you only need to detach and move the side rails?
- Manufactured from steel & wood, our side rails are securely attached to the bed frame, and therefore incredibly strong. They are fully weight bearing.